These next three weeks we are going to spend time reading scripture, meditating on it, asking questions of the scriptures, and writing down some thoughts. I encourage you to sit aside 10-15 minutes to do this. I also encourage you to have a journal and your bible to do these exercises.
1. Read through the scripture once.
2. Pray that the Holy Spirit will reveal something fresh to you through the scriptures.
3. Read through the scripture again.
4. Meditate on what the scripture says, the people involved, who is it written by, who is it written to, what is it saying to you today, and do you have any biases that you need to set aside.
5. Read through the scripture again.
6. This time write down what you feel the scripture and the Holy Spirit is saying to you.
7. Pray as you close!
Here is today’s scripture:
2 John 1:1-13
“The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth, and not only I, but also all who know the truth, because of the truth that abides in us and will be with us forever: Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father’s Son, in truth and love. I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father. And now I ask you, dear lady—not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning—that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. Though I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink. Instead I hope to come to you and talk face to face, so that our joy may be complete. The children of your elect sister greet you